USHC Students




WCU reserves a number of bed spaces in both WCU Housing and Affiliated Housing for incoming first-year students. For USH, first-year students are housed in Allegheny Hall, Brandywine Hall, and Commonwealth Hall. Incoming first-year students who are accepted with on-campus housing are recommended to complete the housing process within their advertised deadlines. Incoming students are not guaranteed their first preference of WCU vs Affiliated, a specific community, or a specific suite style.
Typically, first year students are assigned to one-bedroom doubles, three-bedroom doubles, or two-bedroom doubles with shared bathroom.

Transfer Students

USH Affiliated Housing offers a limited number of bed spaces in all communities for incoming transfer students. Incoming transfer students are not guaranteed their first preference of WCU vs Affiliated, a specific community, or a specific suite style.

Current WCU Students

USH begins leasing for the following academic year in November. For the 2024-2025 term, current WCU students can begin applying for housing on December 18th 2023.

How does roommate matching work?

Both WCU Owned and USH Affiliated Housing offer a roommate matching service where applicants can create a profile and select roommates. For USH communities, all applicants can utilize the roommate matching portion located in the housing application in the USH Resident Portal. WCU and USH do not recommend utilizing outside companies that advertise roommate matching services, such as,,, or any social media application. WCU and USH are not connected with these services and will not receive any information regarding the matches that you make on these sites.

How does leasing work with a USH community?

Residents of USH communities must sign a Lease Agreement, an individual agreement that covers their assigned bedroom space and any common space shared with other occupants. Residents, however, are only responsible for the terms specified in their own agreement and will not be held responsible for unpaid rent or any individually incurred fees by roommates.
North and South Campus Leases are 9+ months in length.

Special Interest Groups

Incoming First-Year students participating in the WCU Honors College and have a completed USH Lease Agreement will be housed in Honors College designated housing in Allegheny Hall.

Living With Us

Will our rooms be tripled?

The demand for on campus housing at WCU is high. In order to accommodate all the students who request on-campus housing, USH anticipates that a small percentage of students will start out the fall semester in a triple room, which is a designated double room that will temporarily house three students. The suite will have additional furniture to accommodate the residents and the three residents of the bedroom that is tripled will receive a rent credit. University Student Housing will work diligently to de-triple units as beds become available. This is a common practice and has occurred regularly in the past at WCU.

Do I have to submit a deposit?

All applicants are required to submit a non-refundable and non-transferable $200 application fee at the time that the application is submitted. This fee is not a deposit and will not be returned to an applicant at any point. If a student applies and then decides that they are no longer interested in living with USH, this fee will not be returned.

What does affiliated housing mean?

“Affiliated Housing” means that USH communities are not owned by West Chester University.

University Student Housing, a division of the WCU Foundation, is responsible for the day-to-day management of the communities, including signing up and assigning students, as well as all facility-related issues. The University, however, hires, trains and supervises the Residence Life staff (resident assistants and professional staff) for each location and handles all student-related issues. Rent and any housing related fees are billed separately by USH and are not included on the West Chester University invoice.

What utilities are included in the rent?

All utilities are included in the rent except landline telephone service. Utilities included are electric, water, sewage, waste removal, and wifi.

Where are the USH communities located?

USH operates six communities on the campus of West Chester University. Allegheny Hall, Brandywine Hall, Commonwealth Hall and University Hall are located on North Campus. The Village Apartments and East Village Apartments are located on South Campus.

  1. Allegheny Hall is located at 121 West Rosedale Ave, West Chester, PA 19383
  2. Brandywine Hall is located at 709 South New Street, West Chester, PA 19383
  3. Commonwealth Hall is located at 715 S. New St, West Chester PA 19383
  4. University Hall is located at 180 University Ave, West Chester, PA 19383
  5. Our garden-style apartment communities, The Village Apartments and East Village Apartments, are located on WCU’s South Campus at 181 Carey Drive West Chester, PA 19383 just south of the Main Campus off of South New Street and across from the Football stadium.

Rules & Regulations

Do the same West Chester University rules and regulations apply in USH communities?

Yes! All WCU rules and regulations apply, including, but not limited to, policies and procedures outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, Rams Eye View, and Guide to Residential Living.

Are pets allowed?

No pets are permitted at USH communities. If you have a service dog, service dog in training, or emotional support animal, please contact for any questions regarding the process.

Am I required to have a meal plan?

Students living in the north campus residence halls are required to have a meal plan. This includes residents of Allegheny Hall, Brandywine Hall, Commonwealth Hall and University Hall. Meal plans are optional for students living at The Village Apartments and East Village Apartments. Meal plan billing for all students is processed via the student’s WCU account.

Completing An Application & Paperwork

 What are the steps to complete the leasing process?

To secure housing in a USH community, all portions of the lease application must be complete. This includes:

• Pay $200 non-refundable and non-transferable application fee

Applicant electronically signs the Lease Agreement, and other required documents in the Resident Portal.

If the applicant is under 18, the parent(s) must also sign the Lease Agreement and other required documents. The documents will be emailed to Guarantor(s) to electronically sign via DocuSign.

Guaranty of Lease electronically signed via DocuSign & approved guarantor(s).

Applicants new to on-campus housing are required to complete their housing eligibility forms through their MyWCU before move-in. Please contact Residence Life and Housing Services at 610-436-3307 for questions.

Housing is not secure until all steps are completed.

How do I complete paperwork electronically?

Applicants electronically sign the Lease Agreement and other documents in the Resident Portal as a part of the application.  Applicants are prompted to review the document, agree to the terms and conditions, and sign electronically. The electronic signature is a legally enforceable online leasing transaction.

When will room assignments be sent?

Room assignments will be emailed in June. Room assignments can also be viewed in your Resident Portal under “assignment and roommate information”.

What is a Guarantor?

All USH residents are required to have a guarantor (or guarantors) on file who meets the USH Occupancy Guidelines and Qualifying Criteria.  Click here for more information.

How do I apply to a USH community?

Current WCU students can apply, while space is available beginning mid December.
Incoming First-Year students should follow the steps outlined in their housing email.
Incoming Transfer students should follow the steps outlined on their housing email. 

Incoming First-Year & Transfer Student

I am an incoming first-year or transfer student who just paid a $200 deposit to WCU. Why am I being asked to pay an additional $200?

The $200 deposit paid to WCU covers the $200 acceptance fee. Applicants are required to pay a $200 non-refundable and non-transferable application fee for housing. If a student chooses Affiliated Housing, they will pay the $200 non-refundable application fee at the time they apply.

What happens if I have a conflict or disagreement with my roommate?

The WCU Residence Life and Housing Services staff is available to assist with roommate mediation to help resolve any conflicts that arise. If mediation is unsuccessful, occupants may request a room change. Room change requests are not guaranteed and will be granted based on availability.

I would like to live in a certain suite style, but I do not see that suite style as an option when applying. What should I do?

Certain suite styles have limited availability. If you do not see the suite style that you are looking for when it is your time to select a room, this suite style has reached full occupancy.

Do you provide microwaves or minifridges?

USH partners with Microfridge to deliver microwave/minifridge combined units. You can order one here so that it is delivered before you move in.

Campus Transportation

Is there transportation available from South Campus to North Campus?

Yes. There is a shuttle that runs directly between South Campus and North Campus each day that classes are in session from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. Shuttle hours vary during weekends and summer months. Schedules are available here.

Lease Termination

How do I terminate my lease once the lease term has begun?

To terminate your lease please follow the lease termination process here.

Is it possible to terminate my lease before I move-in?

To terminate your lease please follow the lease termination process here.

The $200 Lease Termination fee is waived through 4:30pm on June 1. As of 4:30pm on June 1, all applicants must submit the fee.

In many circumstances prior to the start of the lease term, applicants will be relieved of their obligations, while we have students needing housing. As we get closer to Move-In, USH may not be in a position to relieve a student of their obligations.

How do I find someone to take over my lease?

Many students find success utilizing word of mouth and social media. Any current WCU student, who does not currently reside in a USH community and meets the USH Occupancy Guidelines and Qualifying Criteria, is eligible to apply. A current USH resident is not able to take over a lease for another USH resident.

What happens if a replacement is not found to take over my Lease Agreement?

If a replacement is not found, you remain responsible for the terms of the Lease Agreement, including payment.

Billing & Payments

How do I make a payment?

Check, Money Orders, or Cashier’s checks can be dropped off at the rent drop boxes in each of our communities or mailed to the address below:

USH Resident Accounts Office, 202 Carter Drive, West Chester, PA 19382.

Credit/debit card and ACH payments can be made online 24/7 via the Resident Portal.

Please note: paying with a credit/debit card includes a 2.95% convenience fee. ACH payments have no additional fee included.

When are Payments Due?

The first payment for the fall semester is due August 1st.  The first payment for the spring semester is due January 3rdNote: Some residents have conditions which require them to make payment at an earlier date.  If you have been approved with conditions, please reference your lease agreement or call us for more details.

For additional payment information, continue to the link here.

What if I Receive an Error Message When Trying to Make an Online Payment?

Most banks have a daily transaction limit, and may inhibit your ability to make a payment online.  Contact your bank prior to making a payment to inquire how much you can charge to your card in one day.

Can Financial Aid be used to pay rent?

Absolutely!  It is the responsibility of the student, however, to secure enough financial aid through loans, grants, and scholarships to cover the cost of housing in addition to tuition, meal plans or other University fees. You must pay your full WCU tuition and all other fees before WCU will release available funds to USH. Financial aid awards can vary from year to year, so students are encouraged to calculate their needs and apply for aid well in advance to the start of the school year. You may be required to pay out of pocket if financial aid is not available prior to move-in.

Late Charges. Rent is due on the 1st day of the month, regardless of whether this date falls on a weekend or holiday.  There will be a late charge due if Rent is not paid.  A late charge is a fee that is considered additional Rent, and is due immediately. The late charges are:

•$50.00 if Rent is not received by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on the 4th day of the month, regardless of whether this date falls on a weekend or holiday.

•An additional $100.00 if Rent is not paid by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on the 10th day of the month, regardless of whether this date falls on a weekend or holiday.

For residents who authorize funds to be disbursed from WCU to USH via the Financial Aid Authorization process, late fees will be charged if the resident and/or borrower fails to complete financial aid documents resulting in delayed awards, if an outstanding balance is not paid in full by September 15th for the fall semester and February 15th for the spring semester, or if financial aid is not disbursed as a result of the resident changing their status with USH and/or WCU. If financial aid is delayed as a result of the state or federal government, late fees will not be applied.

Financial aid goes directly to the University’s Financial Aid Office and is not disbursed to USH.  After the University takes out the appropriate amount of tuition, meal plan, and other fees, the student is responsible to authorize a fund transfer of their refund to USH. Please note that payment plans with the University, or additional charges added to your WCU account, may affect the amount of aid initially authorized to USH.

For the fall semester this authorization must take place no later than August 15th, or your move in date, whichever comes first.  For the spring semester this authorization must take place no later than January 15th or your move in date, whichever comes first.

For additional information please contact WCU Financial Aid.